Missing Jicama

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 | 2 comments

          Yeah, that's the name of a vegetable, not a person (or a communicable disease, for that matter). For some reason, I've been craving some tonight. I really wish that they imported these lovely little roots into Japan, but so far I have neither seen nor heard of them. On a side note, we did find Greek yogurt for sale online here---for the price of a mere 1800 yen (about $20) per large container! Add that to my list of things I will only be eating in the US.
  Some things I've been unable to find here so far:
   1. Shoes in my size (unless I go to the 'big woman' store in Tokyo, where they only sell ugly big shoes
  2. A decent-sized jar of natural peanut butter. I did find a mini jar once, but only once. And there's plenty of that nasty Jiffy stuff, yuck.
  3. Jicama
  4. Turkey. Ah, turkey. How I miss thee.
  5. Reese's peanut butter cups. What's up with the lack of peanut butter products?
  6. Taco Bell. Not that we tend to eat Taco Bell all that much, but still...
  7. Aspirin. Who knew that aspirin was prescription-only in this country??
  8. Wasabi's tail. Hah, just checking to see if you're really paying attention. But yes, she's still searching for it...


            Jicama, in case you've never seen it. Pronounced 'hick-a-ma', just imagine a pickup with a Confederate flag and a gun rack and you'll never forget how to say it



I ate the whole thing in one day!


                    Our little monster, hiding under the covers. No tail there, either.

2 comments:

antonette said...

oh man, the shoes are awful here! i'm 25 cm and you are totally right--whenever you can find them, they're hideous! however... ive found some in matsuzakaya that were cute, but of course way out of my budget...grrrr...i'll keep you posted

Kristel said...

Let me know if you have any luck...I've found some cute 25's and 25.5's on sale at department stores in Tokyo occasionally, but they're still rather pricey..and unfortunately, I'm a 26! Every time I ask clerks if they have that size, they usually just giggle outright or look like they feel bad for me!