Hoshi Imo Season!

Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 | 0 comments

      It's that time of year again! Yep, hoshi imo season. Loving food as much as I do (especially these little treats), I always eagerly await these next few months.
 For those of you who don't know what hoshi imo are (they were actually the topic of my first blog post), they're basically strips of dried sweet potatoes. But that's like calling Wasabi crazy...you just won't get the entire idea until you see it, or in this case, taste it. Done right, their consistency is something akin to dried mangoes...only they're a lot more gooey. I like goo.
  Our neighbors down the road grow and dry these things every year, and their hoshi imo are so popular that people actually put in reservations for them. We lucked out and managed to beg some off them last weekend, and now we've got a reservation for this coming Saturday, too. It takes about a week or so to dry the potatoes properly, longer if it happens to rain during that time.
  Side note...Another neighbor has this adorable little dog, a mame Shiba (mini Shiba) that they leave outside on the porch, day and night. He's such a sweet little guy, and he always tries to lick me whenever I go past. For quite a while before we got Wasabi, I was actively campaigning for Yuki to let me kidnap him. I even named him 'Imo', since (as I mentioned in the previous post about sweet potatoes), the word 'hoshii' (I want) sounds suspiciously like 'hoshi' (dried). So I took to yelling HOSHII IMO! every time we'd walk past the little guy. Needless to say, Yuki's quite glad that I've shut up now that we have Wasabi to keep me occupied.

           Lovely hoshi imo



    Better-tasting than dried mango, even


           IMO was all set to eat some hoshi imo


       Too cute!


   Not to be outdone, Wasa also had to inspect the goodies

0 comments: