Sadistic Japanese tutors and more

Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 | 0 comments

I'm pretty sure that one of my tutors is a bit sadistic. Every lesson goes something like this:
Him: 'Blah blah blah blah blah blah...blah blah desuka?'
Me: 'Chotto yukkuri hanashite kudasai!' (Please speak a little more slowly).
Him: 'Blah blah blah blah blah blah...blah blah desuka?' (Big evil smile ensues).
I feel like Adam Sandler when he's trying to learn Spanish in Billy Madison...only I don't get the mansion and lots of beer!
Some part of me must like the torture though, since he's the only tutor whose lessons I bother studying for. Maybe it's akin to the mental equivalent of a cattle prod?
Whatever the case, I think that I'm finally getting used to him. After the first lesson, I was ready to quit and actually had a nightmare about him the night before my second lesson! Yeah, I know, I worry way too much.
I am, however, having a bit of fun myself trying to stump him with English words. Today, it was 'trans fats'. I have no idea how to say that in Japanese?? He didn't know, either...maybe because nobody seems to really care about them....margarine and shortening are in practically everything here! I happened to glance at the kaki fry (battered and deep-fried oysters) label a while back, and sure enough, shortening was listed. Who knew?? Like they're not toxic enough from being deep-fried. Delicious, though. If you're got to die of a heart attack, that would be the way to do it. Of course, my mom pointed out how 'kaki' sounds a lot like 'kaka', and she doesn't want to try anything bringing about that mental image!
Anyway. After the lesson, rushed home to find....Wasabi and the recycling bag. Or, should I say, Wasabi and the contents of the recycling bag spread all over the floor. I'm just thankful it wasn't the garbage! Right now she's purring and sucking her thumb after such a hard day's work. Tonight is vaccine time at the vet's, so let's hope it goes smoothly!





0 comments: