Gyoza

Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 | 0 comments

Here's the gyoza that I made...not the best pictures, but then again, you really don't want to see my miniscule 'kitchen', either.
I'd list the gyoza recipe, but I don't really use one. Here's what I basically do; it's a little different every time:
Add a little goma abura (sesame oil) to a skillet and cook a package of ground chicken over the lowest heat possible. While it's cooking, peel and dice 2 carrots; add to the chicken. Dice up one package of shimeji mushrooms and one package (about 3) of eringi mushrooms and throw these into the skillet, too. Add fresh ground ginger (I buy it in a tube here) and also fresh minced/ground garlic (also in a tube). Add a lot, that's all I can say. And add more garlic than ginger. Mix everything up and continue cooking. Stir in light soy sauce, maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons? And then toss in some chopped baby leeks (にら). I add about a fourth cup or so. I usually chop them ahead of time and keep them frozen, then just throw them straight from the freezer into whatever I'm cooking.
Simmer until almost all the juices are gone. I usually turn up the heat at the end, since I get tired of waiting.
Let cool a little bit, then put heaping teaspoonfuls onto gyoza wrappers. Lightly moisten the diameter of the wrappers, then fold over and pinch together to seal. Place on a cookie sheet that's been sprayed with cooking spray, then spray the tops of the gyoza, too. Bake at about 350 F (170 C) for 20 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned and crunchy.
Serve with dipping sauce: About 2 Tb. light soy sauce, 1 Tb rice vinegar, and spicy sesame oil to taste. Enjoy!



Gyoza preparation


















The finished products



















Moyashi Kitty: Wasabi inspecting part of the salad I made for lunch.

0 comments: